It’s no secret that curly hair is searching for its next surge of hydration. In fact, curly hair can benefit from using a hydrating hair serum on both wet and dry hair. To start, on freshly shampooed and conditioned hair gently towel blot excess water from your curls. Once you have excess water removed, prep your hair with a hydrating leave-in conditioner followed by hair serum. For optimum hydration, you may re apply hair serum on dry second (third) day hair.
How curly hair uses hair serum
- Shampoo and condition: Using hydrating shampoo ensure the focus of the cleanse is against your scalp and not ran through your ends. Rinse thoroughly and repeat if necessary. Followed by an ultra hydrating conditioner focusing on midstrand through the ends of your hair.
- Hair Mask: For even better results, and to curb unwanted frizz, reach for a hydrating hair mask in lieu of your daily conditioner. Rinse with cooler temperature water.
- Remove Excess Water: Our hair becomes weak the longer it hangs on to water from the shower, so gently ring out excess water before stepping out of the shower.
- Blot Don’t Rub: Blotting your curls with your microfiber towel is the best way to remove even more water without adding friction that can lead to damage
- Prep + Prevent: Prep your curls with a hydrated base product like a leave-in conditioner before reaching for your hydrating hair serum. This will prevent combing friction and prevent split ends from developing
- Pump + Apply: In the palm of your hand pump the desired amount of hair serum and then rub the palms of your hands together to ensure equal amounts of serum are in each palm. Starting in the back of your head, section (varies depending on hair density) and work the serum mid strand through ends in horizontal sections from the nape upwards toward the crown.
- Emphasis: To emphasize your curl pattern remember to ease your touch and not to rake through your hair, but capture those individual curls and using a comb or finger, spiral the curl to add definition.
- Dry: While it is great to get the blowdryer out to diffuse your locks, ensure that you are light handed using low speed while working globally around the head focusing on the new growth/ scalp area first.
- Once drying is complete, feel free to add a little more serum through your finished style to add shine and to help combat frizz
Is hair serum good for curly hair?
While we know curls have a mind of their own, there are a few facts about curls that don’t negotiate. Curly hair needs hydration and pay attention to the type of oil or serum you reach for. This product can create heaviness and build up that can coat your curls.
When you look for the right hair serum its key to find benefits of the one you choose. Goldie Locks Signature Serum for example is a hybrid oil/ serum blend. Which means it takes the internal rejuvenating and hydrating benefits of an oil while giving your curls protection that a serum delivers.
Most serum’s you find on the market today, are heavily concentrated and don’t provide both of these benefits as a hybrid does.
Goldie Locks Signature Serum will deliver essential hydration, battle frizz, absorbs quickly and is a weightless option to make all curly hair types shine!